Sunday, April 15, 2007

Perfect Strangers

I went for a movie ... alone... for the first time.
Irony of it all? watched ' Perfect Strangers' !!!

Throughout expecting some handsome hunk to take a cue from the movie and come speak to me ;)

Jokes apart... lets see. I wont comment on the movie much... though its worth a single watch. Im a die hard Bruce Willis fan... so anything for the man. ( his half-smile is just to die for... and age... well the man appears to grow sexier as the years fly by, no doubt).

what I would like to talk about is my experience. Being one of those big planners, I love having people around, maybe for the company, maybe for the hustle-bustle... or maybe just to dissect the movie after we watch it.

So, my decision to do it alone, was a suprise to me too.

Asking for a single ticket was easy, but I imagined the woman before me giving me a sympathetic look. I walked in and took my seat... only to realise that I knew the people sitting 2 seats away.
Had the choice of saying 'Hello' or pretending ignorance. I chose the latter. for a while I even had a virtual conversation going on in my head:
" Hey. how u doing?"
" Good. good. you?"
" not bad. whom u with?"
" Alone."
" aaaah. Join us, ya. "

So i dug my head deeper into my cell phone during the interval and constantly looked right, hoping they wont see me ( they were sitting to my left)
Got through the movie. Even enjoyed it. and am home now.

My irritation being... why the fuck was I embarassed to be going for a movie alone. Watching a movie is a perfectly fun way to spend time. I couldve been watching the same flick... alone... on Star Movies and wouldnt have thot twice about it. But in public, at some level I felt very alone. As though, having people with you justifies your watching a movie and otherwise maybe not?

A lot of my friends have gone for movies alone ( ok I'm lying, I know only 2 people who've done that) However, they have done it. And make no bones about it. However, after my experience today i realised that I fall in the other category.. amongst those who say, " Hey, u went for a movie alone? aaaaaaaaaa....why? U shudve called me, i'd have come along!"

Now... the problem being... I dont want to be in the IInd category. i want to be in the Ist category.
So I'm going for another movie... alone... this week... just to accept :

a) The idea of going alone for a flick
b) Myself and the changes I want to make in my way of thinking.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tell me where? I will come along. (we can sit far pretending we dont know each other, like we are alone in company)

lemon said...

catty..!! m happy to see that ur becoming alot more regular than u were before..! n m going in the exact opposite direction..!!

u know something..i feel awesome when i do stuff by myself..the one time i went to a coffee bar,ordered myself a granita and sat down wit a book alone..i couldn't help but feel a sense of power or rather independence...
so u go chica...go alone and have fun..infact m sure u are having fun..u probably jus dont wanna admit it to urself :)
go see 'the namesake'..its an awesome movie to watch alone :)

Anonymous said...

how was the second time alone? Any different from the last time?

amna said...

heyy.. bloghopped from lemon.. she does have an interesting list of blogs on her site (incidentally, i am in there too :D) .. i saw perfect strangers too, love bruce wilis but felt his character did not do justice to what could have been done..

for some weird reason, halle berry reminded me of mallika sherawat!!

enjoyed ur blog, do write more :)

Swapnil said...

watchin-movie-alone-o-phobia? I once saw a movie alone- but with the cell phone stuck to my ear as a couple of my friends were watching the same movie in another city...is that..er..strange? :)

bornfortheu.s.a said...

i went to a movie once wid my then gf...now i wish i had gone alone...coz i hardly managed to watch the movie...u knw wat i mean...

lemon said...

catster..!!! an update would be great..seriously..!!!

ohh..n chec out this post.!
http://princessbanter.blogspot.com/2007/04/good-game-of-solitude.html

Anonymous said...

u disappeared completely??? hope u were able to make it back home from the second-time-watching-movie-alone-adventure..how bout and update