Friday, February 16, 2007

"Get a Date"

It's SS's engagement on Sunday, because of which the woman has obviously
been very very tied up. There's barely been any conversation for the past
few days. Every time we speak, she's like:

" I'll call you back… I'm at the jewelers or buying clothes or getting the
place ready or sitting with the prospective hubby or in-laws or hubby/
in-laws friends" Basically doing everything in the whole world but talking
to moi !!

Aaaaarrrggh!

Frustrating.

Anyway. So she books my Sunday, " Be at my place by 8.30am. Get ready here…
we'll go to the gurudwara from here itself. Then there will be paath, the
engagement and lunch. Ofcourse, in the evening there's a party at my place"
I'm like, " Great. Will be there in the morning!!! "
She, " Bring a date in the evening !!"
Me ( irritable… I mean the woman knows I've just fucking broken off. Don't
have even have a whiff of a single man, near or far, n she asks me to get a
date. Ok, chill… maybe she's just being nice- " Yup, will try!"

Topic closed. Forgotten.

Friday evening… the prospective fiancé is in town… time to begin the party,
why wait till Sunday to celebrate?

Get a call Friday afternoon, " What u doing in the evening"
My humble self, " Nothing constructive. Just gonna laze at home"
SS, " Ok. We're planning to go to Laid Back Waters in the evening. Keep
ureself free."
Me, " Ok. Who all?"
SS, " Myself, P ( d fiancé), Sh and G. Bring a date"
WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS STATEMENT?? I MEAN ARE WE TRYING TO RUB IT IN ON
PURPOSE??
Me- " SS, I don't have a date! Maybe coz I'm not dating anyone anymore! At
the moment have no intentions of getting a date/ dating anyone… maybe even
indefinitely. So can you please NOT keep asking me to get a DATE !!"
SS ( somewhat embarrassed)" Ok, just come. Forget it"

Topic closed a second time over.
However, in my mind, it's still open.

Am having an argument here as to why is it so important to be socially seen
on a man's arm, for women to actually be feeling:
a) Good about themselves
b) Good about their social circle.

I know there is concern at some level, for a single friend, however,
honestly, beyond that, do people start feeling uncomfortable in the presence
of singles when they are seeing someone… nonononono not seeing someone…
potentially engaged/ married?

I know this ' get a date' would never have been said had she been going out
with her bf a year ago. But because 2 couples are meeting, I'd be the '
odd-one-out', sitting alone, probably and sipping my lonely vodka's.

Maybe it's a sense of embarrassment- "Hey, here's a perfectly nice woman..
and I'm sorry to admit she's single"
Maybe it's a sense of disgust - " Hey, look, I'm getting engaged now. We're
a couple, we need to be hanging out with couples. Marriage means
responsibility etc… n I cannot be seen as a junkie with single people and
their lonely vodka's and chain smoking.
Maybe it's a sense of pity- " God! She's going to feel so out of place with
us happy couples! Poor soul! God bless her!"

I don't care which one it is. But its just NOT required.

1 comment:

lemon said...

i cant say that i know exactly wat ur going through..espeially since im only 18..but i can sure imagine...hang on and rant all u want.. :)