Saturday, February 17, 2007

Thank you, Girl Interupted.

Tonite I watched 'Girl Interupted' for the 4th time maybe 5th.
Every time I watch the movie, it leaves me with a sense of freedom.

To begin with, I identify most with Susanna ( Winona Ryder), the woman driving herself insane with her own hands. She walks into a mental institution, not belonging there, and slowly becomes an integral part of the place and it's people.
Lisa ( Angelina Jolie) is the in-your-face, hyper woman losing her rhythm constantly and creating chaos at every step.

Through the course of the movie the two woman find true friendship, a bond which only 2 people on the verge of a breakdown can possibly find. They grow closer and then move apart and then grow closer again. They slowly discover their own identities and begin a quest at finding their souls.

The beauty of the movie, I feel, does not lie solely in the acting, which in itself is remarkable. It's the theme of the movie which truly touches your heart.

In a world of crazy events, happenings and not to mention people, sanity is surely just an illusion we create in our minds to give ourselves some solace, is it not? the distinction between the crazy and the so-called 'outside' world... what is it? and who establishes it?
And yet we continue with our daily routines, with our minds full of rubbish, standing on the edge of insanity and pitying the ones who crossed the line.
Are we sane? Is it necessary to talk funny to be branded crazy? Is it necessary to try and commit suicide, to be declared mentally ill, even though you maybe thinking about it 24-7?

While these questions trouble me, the ending of the movie brings me back from my dark thoughts to the light of day.
As Susanna sits on the stairs crying , staring at Lisa and listening to her wild ranting,

She says, " Ive wasted 1 year of my life in this mental institution... and I know the world out there maybe insane, but I'd rather be out there in that crazy world, than be here in this mental institution"

And it makes sense. Binding the movie. A perfect full circle.

We sit and cry about our miseries, some self-created, some not, when the world is waiting with open arms, longing to hold us.

I shut the TV and smile.

I feel hope. Hope for myself and my future. Hope that everything will fall into place. Hope that I'm here to discover myself and everyday brings me a step closer towards finding myself.

Thank you, Girl Interupted.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry For The Interruption
Nice.. get stronger, sexier, bolder, older (oh yea), prettier, sassier, messier (what the fuck!)... and do your thing Lady.
Keep loving 'em though, dudes are nice, just nasty ones here and there. But hell, they make it interesting too. No bee, no sting...in us, yeah? ;) Lets meet soon, boys, bosom and bacchus, say?