Wednesday, September 26, 2007

TOI... My Love

Spirits have lifted!

Woke up today from sound sleep. Completely blank. Can't recall any nightmares...
A great achievement, considering my state of total disarray in the mornings.

Haven't been watching TV for a while now, so had completely missed the action on the Indian team's arrival in Mumbai.
Went to the dining table... sorted through the Express, HT and Hindu, to locate my favorite... TOI.... and boy! is it my favorite.
Today... I have finally uncovered the reason why I love this paper so much. The entire front page spread has a massive picture of the Indian cricket team on their ' vijay rath' surrounded by millions and millions of people... somewhere on Marine Drive ( I think).
Yes... all the papers covered the story... all of them put it as front page news... but TOI ( my love) took things a step further, giving it a full page spread!!!

Call me a sucker for sensationalism... but how else is a paper expected to make a mark in the heart of so much competition.

That is not to say, that I'm against objective journalism... but it's about that sixth sense... about how to hit a nerve with the consumer. It is also a combination of the overall look, colour scheme, placement of news etc... but when every paper is showcasing the same news ( maybe a Hindu and Indian Express are even giving me some more intelligent analysis) then why is it that TOI is the largest circulating English Daily in the country?

The reason being... TOI just knows what the reader wants. Not the first time, TOI has proved that it's a notch above the rest... however...

Bravo!!

They did it again... Grabbed my attention, and I'm certain of many others as well.

I love my TOI :)

4 comments:

Crimson Feet said...

TOI been my paper too... inspite of everything... i think its more of a habit than any love for it... (like marriages i guess ;)... ok. no more ref to marriages)

PS.
sorry for using this space for work!.. had left a msg for u on my page... kindly mail back if u can help,,, thanks.

this comment is not self destructive. you may delete it!

Crimson Feet said...

thanks a lot for your help!.. that was useful!

a small humble request ...if u have something more to share.. kindly mail... am not too keen on blog2blog interaction for my work related stuff... apologise for having started it in the first place..

thanks still!!

lemon said...

m back and im so glad that ur back too!!

missed you chica! hope all's well..

Unknown said...

TOI's again become very good recently. Hey I think HT had a full spread too. But man this is good brand loyalty! :)